The Wonders of His Love: God’s Perfect Gift
Text: 1John 4:7-11, Romans 5:17, Ephesians 2:8, 2Corinth 9:15.
Memory Verse: “Herein is love, not that we loved God, but that he loved us, and sent his Son to be the propitiation for our sins”. 1John 4:10
Giving gifts is a way of expressing love. We can boldly say that the greatest gift that has ever been given to humanity is God’s gift of Christ Jesus. God, who is love personified, loves us so much that he sent Jesus to reconcile us back to him after the fall of man and to give us the identity as his beloved sons and daughters.
Before the foundation of the world, God knew that man would sin, and that he would need a way of salvation. Therefore God prepared His “perfect gift” of salvation for man to receive reconciliation for his sin. God’s perfect gift was selected in the person of His only begotten Son Jesus Christ. The cost of God’s perfect gift was really expensive because it was paid through the shedding of His Son’s blood on the cross of Calvary.
This perfect gift given to us by God shows us just how much He loves us; John 3:16 tells us that this gift is available to everyone who will believe. Just think about it; if you were Jesus, would you be able to be tortured and die for everyone? Yet, Jesus did it and gave us all a new life and identity in God.
We have all been saved by grace; and this grace is Christ Jesus who is God’s perfect gift to us. Now many people wonder why God gave us this perfect gift; here are some of the reasons;
- He knew that man would sin; this was his backup plan.
- He gave Jesus to reveal himself as the creator and redeemer of his people.
- To prove his love for man by giving his most precious possession.
- To save us from the bondage of sin Romans 5:8, Hebrews 9:26
- Jesus came to destroy the works of the devil 1John 3:8
- He gave us Jesus to be an example of holiness and to help us live a holy life 1Peter 2:21-22
- To restore the fellowship with man that was lost in the Garden of Eden.
- To give us a new life and a chance to be in eternity with him forever. John 3:16
Meditation: How do you treat the gifts your parents give you? Would you toy with this perfect gift?
Author: Sis Chiamaka Ebenezer