Salvation Story (I) The Fall of Man
Text: Genesis 3: 1-24.
Memory Verse: “So he drove out the man; and he placed at the east of the garden of Eden Cherubim, and a flaming sword which turned every way, to keep the way of the tree of life”. Genesis 3:24
Adam and Eve were happy in the Garden of Eden where God provided for all of their needs. God gave them only one rule: do not eat from the tree in the middle of the garden. The serpent came to Eve and tempted her with lies and convinced her to eat from the tree. Then Eve gave some of the fruit to Adam and he also ate it. At that point they both realized their sin and felt guilty for disobeying God. For the first time, people experienced the feeling of shame. Because of their sin, God punished them (the serpent, Eve and Adam) and sent Adam and Eve out of the garden; this is when the fall of man began. Now that sin had entered the world through Adam and Eve, there were consequences. Let us look at them briefly:
1. It brought loss of fellowship with God; Genesis 3: 8-9.
2. Loss of righteousness: Their disobedience brought sin into the world.
3. Separation from God: After they realized they were naked, they became ashamed and hid themselves from God. Genesis 3:10.
4. Cursed Environment: God cursed Adam and ground over the whole earth; Genesis 3:17-18.
5. Physical death: Adam disobeyed and physical death came to him and his descendants; Genesis 3:19.
Author: Sis Chiamaka Ebenezer