Overcoming the dominance of the flesh
Romans 8:1-6, 13.
The flesh is what people term as “my normal self”. It is the natural tendencies and conveniences of any man. The flesh can exact its dominance through any physical or spiritual activity (ies) done outside of the confines of God’s grace and will.
The manifestations of the flesh are outlined in Galatians 5:19-21. But besides these listed manifestations, “and such like” means the list is inexhaustive, we are to abstain from every appearance or form that resembles the works of the flesh (evil) – 1 Thessalonians 5:22.
Enhancers of the flesh or avenues for fleshly dominance: the below-listed activities are in themselves not sinful, but we must exhibit restraint and watchfulness while we engage in them- 1 Corinthians 7:31; 1 Timothy 6:6; 1 Corinthians 9:25.
- Food and merriment- Exodus 32:6
- Love of money and more secular work- 1 Timothy 6:10; Ecclesiastes 2:11
- Vacation or relaxation- 2 Samuel 11:1, 2
- TV programs and unbridled internet access- Genesis 34:1.
- Freedom and self-satisfaction- Jeremiah 6:16, 17. This includes self-love, self-praise, freedom of friendship and association, etc.
Ways to overcome the flesh: Romans 12:2. The battle is won in the mind daily, therefore, we must allow the grace of God to continually renew and transform our mind for our victory through:
- Personal unbroken devotion to God- Psalm 42:1, 2
- Consistent fellowship with the brethren of like minds- Hebrews 10:25
- Spiritual diligence and watchfulness- 1 Peter 4:7
- Willful and intentional discipline of the flesh- 1 Corinthians 15:31.
Author Bro A. Faola
THERE’S SIN IN THE CAMP
There is sin in the camp, treason today,
Is it in me, O Lord. Is it in me?
There is cause in our ranks, for defeat and delay.
Is it in me, O Lord, is it in me?
Something of selfishness, garment of pride,
Something of prayerlessness, a haughty heart;
Something why God doth His blessing keep withholding,
It is in me, O Lord, it is in me.
Oh take this heart of mine, deal with all sin:
Pride and the rein of self, you Lord replace;
Help me to bend the knee until revival comes.
And take Sin off our camp, do this today.