Thanksgiving (II) – Why do we give thanks?
Text: Philippians 4: 4-6, Psalms 103: 1-5, Isaiah 12:4-5.
Memory Verse: “In everything give thanks: for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you” 1Thess 5:18.
Now that we have a basic understanding of thanksgiving, let us look at why we should give thanks. It is important to know why we do the things we do as children of God. There are so many reasons we give thanks to God, let us briefly look at them:
1. It glorifies God: Giving thanks helps us realize that all we have comes from God. 2Corinthians 4:15
2. It is the will of God: A big part of God’s will is for us to be thankful when we’re happy and when we’re sad. 1Thess 5:18
3. It brings Peace: Counting your blessings makes you realize that God is involved in everything that concerns you and this brings peace. Philippians 4:6-7
4. It brings Contentment: Thanksgiving or gratitude makes what we have enough. If we are not grateful for the little we have then we won’t be satisfied even when we have plenty. Being thankful is the key to contentment. 1Timothy 6:6-8
5. Gratitude is a testimony: When we thank God openly and acknowledge what He has done for us, we are telling the world that we have a God that cares. Psalms 105:1
In conclusion, developing a grateful heart brings incredible blessings.
Action: Give thanks to God
Author: Sis Chiamaka Ebenezer